Tracking #NBARank 2014
As it has done for the past couple years, ESPN has once again started to unveil its #NBARank list, which ranks the 500 best players in the league.
Several ESPN panelists were asked “to predict the overall level of play for each player for the upcoming NBA season. This includes both the quality and the quantity of his expected contributions, combined in one overall rating.” Each player got an average score from 1-10, and was then ranked according.
The rankings have been unveiled via Twitter, and so far, they’ve unveiled #500-21. Additional rankings will continue to be released all the way up to Oct. 28, the day before the start of the 2014-15 regular season.
Several of the newest Pacers players made early appearances on the list. Undrafted rookie Shayne Whittington was dubbed #500, while training camp invitees Arinze Onuaku and Adonis Thomas checked in at 493 and 490, respectively.
Third-string point guard Donald Sloan is back for his second season in Indiana, and the #NBARank panel had Sloan at 464, up 22 spots from last year’s list. The panelists likely haven’t seen much of Croatian free agent acquisition Damjan Rudez, which could mean his ranking of 436 skewed a little lower than his actual talent level.
Solomon Hill, now in his second year in the NBA, checked in on Tuesday, Sept. 16 at #380, three spots higher than he ranked as a rookie.
Two more Pacers players made appearances on Friday, Sept. 19, with Lavoy Allen ranked 304th and Chris Copeland coming in at 302. Another two appeared on Tuesday, Sept. 23, with Ian Mahinmi at 273 and C.J. Watson at 268.
New Pacers swingman C.J. Miles showed up at #211 on Friday, Sept. 26, up 59 spots from last year’s rankings.
Recently, power forward Luis Scola was ranked 182nd while shooting guard Rodney Stuckey was ranked 171st, two spots higher than a year prior.
Starting point guard George Hill checked in at 105th on Friday, Oct. 3. A week later, power forward David West was ranked 60th. On Tuesday, Oct. 14 Center Roy Hibbert was unveiled at #46.
Check out the full rankings on ESPN’s site and keep tracking #NBARank on Twitter over the next several weeks.
Here’s a complete list of where each player on this year’s Pacers roster has been ranked:
Pacers (Last Year’s Rank):
46. Roy Hibbert (22)
60. David West (44)
105. George Hill (85)
171. Rodney Stuckey (173)
182. Luis Scola (129)
211. C.J. Miles (270)
268. C.J. Watson (238)
273. Ian Mahinmi (271)
302. Chris Copeland (188)
304. Lavoy Allen (272)
375. Chris Singleton (333)
380. Solomon Hill (383)
436. Damjan Rudez (NR)
464. Donald Sloan (486)
490. Adonis Thomas (NR)
493. Arinze Onuaku (494)
500. Shayne Whittington (NR)
Yet to be ranked:
?? Paul George (13)
And here’s a couple more lists, showing how former Pacers and players with local ties stack up across the league.
Former Pacers (Years with Indiana):
50. Lance Stephenson, Charlotte (2010-14)
117. Josh McRoberts, Miami (2008-11)
144. Miles Plumlee, Phoenix (2012-13)
146. Gerald Green, Phoenix (2012-13)
148. Darren Collison, Sacramento (2010-12)
152. Mike Dunleavy, Chicago (2006-11)
169. D.J. Augustin, Detroit (2012-13)
197. Jarrett Jack, Brooklyn (2008-09)
220. Evan Turner, Boston (2014)
225. Danny Granger, Miami (2005-14)
252. Tyler Hansbrough, Toronto (2009-13)
282. Jermaine O’Neal, Golden State (2000-08)
316. Leandro Barbosa, Golden State (2012)
342. James Jones, Cleveland (2003-05)
343. Brandon Rush, Golden State (2008-11)
378. Jeff Ayres, San Antonio (2011-13)
383. Rasual Butler, Washington (2013-14)
390. Lou Amundson, Free Agent (2011-12)
408. Shawne Williams, Miami (2006-08)
460. Andrew Bynum, Free Agent (2014)
Players with Local Ties (School):
31. Mike Conley, Memphis (Lawrence North)
33. Zach Randolph, Memphis (Marion)
47. Gordon Hayward, Utah (Brownsburg/Butler)
64. Jeff Teague, Atlanta (Pike)
81. Victor Oladipo, Orlando (Indiana)
110. Eric Gordon, New Orleans (North Central)
112. Mason Plumlee, Brooklyn (from Warsaw)
183. Courtney Lee, Memphis (Pike)
203. Cody Zeller, Charlotte (Washington High School, Indiana University)
205. Carl Landry, Sacramento (Purdue)
206. Jordan Crawford, Golden State (spent one season at Indiana)
234. Tyler Zeller, Boston (Washington)
250. Noah Vonleh, Charlotte (Indiana)
280. Gary Harris, Denver (Hamilton Southeastern)
344. Marquis Teague, Brooklyn (Pike)
372. E’Twaun Moore, Orlando (Purdue)
432. Robbie Hummel, Minnesota (Purdue)
480. Greg Oden, Free Agent (Lawrence North)